Monday 1 December 2008

Enzo seeks new challenger!

Enzo Maccarinelli’s long awaited comeback has been cast into doubt after Jonathon Banks pulled out of Saturdays fight with an ankle injury.

This is the third time the fight has been postponed, all due to the American picking up injuries. The fight looked set to be a huge crowd pleaser as both fighters are in the top two of the World Boxing Organisations (WBO) cruiserweight rankings

Maccarinelli had been looking to get his career back on track after his devastating second round defeat to David Haye by knockout last March. The ‘Hayemaker’ has since moved on to the heavyweight division in spectacular style by demolishing Monte Barrett in five rounds.

The Welshman however, is still keen to bounce back and is now relying on an un-named fighter stepping into Banks’ shoes on Saturday night. If an opponent is found, then the Swansea based boxer will challenge for the vacant WBO cruiserweight crown.

Prior to Banks pulling out, the Welshman was in confident mood and eager to put on a show for his fans:

“I have been training twice as hard since the David Haye fight. I don’t think I’ve ever hit this hard, and I’ve had to hold back a bit there’s so much in my punches.

“Losing to Haye made me realise how much I love this sport. The Monday after the fight I was back in the gym. I’ve done all my usual runs and fitness programmes with the boys from the gym, but have looked to improve my strength as well.

“I’ve been chopping logs and dragging tyres around to make me stronger and I’ve already seen the effects in sparring.”

My housemate Griffyth, who also happens to be the spit of Enzo, assures me that this type of training is extremely effective as he used to complete similar techniques whilst grafting at home. So calm yourself if you are worried about Enzo’s Rocky 4 style preparation.

Also, as I have mentioned Griff looking like Enzo a couple of times, I thought I’d make an image comparison. So now you can check out the resemblance for yourself.

No comments: