Tuesday 9 December 2008

Judgement Night – The Verdict

Amir Khan made his comeback on Saturday night by knocking out Oisin Fagan in the second round at London’s Excel Arena.
The Bolton fighter dominated the bout from the start by knocking down his Irish opponent twice in the opening round – and the punishment continued for Fagan soon after.

Just one minute and 27 seconds into the second round, the fight was stopped by the referee who deemed Fagan unable to defend himself against Khan’s powerful combinations. Fagan even required oxygen treatment afterwards.

Khan last fought against Breidis Prescott back in September, where he was embarrassingly knocked out in the opening round.

Enzo Maccarinelli also made his comeback on the Judgement Night bill, where he fought Matthew Ellis in a heavyweight clash.

The Welshman was due to fight for the WBO cruizerweight title that he lost to David Haye back in March, but had a string of opponents pull out of the fight, forcing the Swansea based fighter to step up a weight division.

The fight mirrored that of Khan’s by ending early inside the second round after Enzo’s power was too much for Ellis to handle. The Englishman was knocked to the canvas twice inside the first round after some brutal body punches from Maccarinelli. Referee Dave Parris stopped the fight in the second, ending a completely one sided affair.

The fight itself was hardly a test for Maccarinelli, but the Welsh bruiser was simply happy to get back inside the ropes: “Fair play to Matthew Ellis, he took a lot of heavy hits. I fought a much bigger guy, someone I didn't know too much about, but I controlled it and I did what I wanted."

The Welshman has now turned his attention to Herbie Hide, a fighter who declined to step into Saturdays showdown because he wanted more time to prepare. Maccarinelli was not only angered by his decision not to fight, but also angered by the way he ridiculed him in a recent interview:

“I will fight him, without a doubt — I hate the man. He said he would come to Swansea and I think everyone around there would like to see me shut his mouth.

“I would love to be the man who ended his career. He did say he would give me his house if I won – that sounds like a very interesting prospect to me. He is a first class idiot.”

No comments: