Wednesday 5 November 2008

Enzo Calzaghe places doubt over Joe’s Retirement


Great news for all British Boxing fans today as the impending retirement of Joe Calzaghe has been cast into doubt - by his own father Enzo.

Calzaghe Senior, who also trains Joe, insists that his son has not ruled out another fight after he faces Roy Jones Jnr at Madison Square Garden on Saturday.

This statement is a total contradiction to what the Welsh fighter has been saying, who has been describing Saturdays fight as his final farewell, claiming he wants to follow the Lenox Lewis route by bowing out on top.

Enzo said: “Fighters are always talking about retiring but you’re always only as good as your last fight. Joe, I’m sure, will make a final decision after this fight on Saturday.

“If there’s no damage done to him and someone puts $20 on the table then I’m sure he’ll seriously consider going on”

Calzaghe Senior, will be in Joe’s corner come Saturday night, something that he admits to finding difficult: “Joe may be my son but I can’t allow myself to get emotional, if I did I’d have to quit.

“It was quite a problem at the start but I’ve learnt to calm down. I’m in the corner with a job to do, there’s no time to get all sentimental.”

No comments: