Thursday 20 November 2008

Mayweather hits back after Malignaggi trashes Hatton

Floyd Mayweather Sr. has dismissed the threat of Paulie Malignaggi describing his punches as “wind flying across your face.”

The legendary trainer has heavily criticised the ‘Magic Man’ ahead of Saturday’s fight, questioning the American’s power and predicted a Ricky Hatton knockout when he spoke to BBC Sport:

“Malignaggi is in hot water. I can’t say anything good about him. He can run, but even that I would call a weakness. It’s not just a lack of power. It’s a lack of everything.

“You can walk through his jab and he’s got nothing in his right hand. What is going to happen if he hits Ricky? It’s not like he’s going to swell up.

“And quick is timing, that’s all it is. Ricky can be slower than him, but he can time him every time he punches, and that’s what will make him as quick as Malignaggi, in fact even quicker.”

Mayweather’s comments come after Malignaggi claimed to be “faster and smarter” than Hatton and a knockout could be a possibility on Saturday night. He said:

“I feel like nothing can break me and don’t be surprised if I stop him. But I won’t be looking for the knockout, I’m a boxer first, a crafty guy.”

“I don’t think you can teach an old dog, new tricks. He’ll probably come out with a few new wrinkles, but he’s been the same way for many years and there is not too many things you can change.

When asked about his right hand, which has been operated on four times, the American wasn’t concerned:

“When the bell rings for the first round I’m going to punch Ricky in the mouth and see where it goes from there.

“It’s a great clash of styles and personalities, but I just don’t see how Hatton can win.”

No comments: