Thursday 6 November 2008

Jones inspired by Obama

Roy Jones Jnr has claimed that Barack Obama’s US presidential win has inspired him and the nation as he looks to defeat Joe Calzaghe on Saturday night.

The American veteran, who has 52 wins from 56 fights, says he will draw strength from Obama’s historic win and told reporters that a new Roy Jones will appear at Madison Square Garden:

“That (Obama’s win) made me so good to be an American again and I’m so proud to be American. This country is about to change and I’m about to change.”

“Its 20 years since I represented this country (Jones won a silver medal the 88 Olympics). I poured my heart out then and on Saturday night I’ll pour my heart out again.”

“Joe Calzaghe, to me, is the best pound-for-pound fighter out there right now but this country is about change and I will be doing my best to change things on Saturday.”

Speaking at the final press conference before the fight, both fighters knocked back the opportunity to trash talk and remained respectful, as the whole publicity campaign has been so far. Calzaghe gave his reasons why:

“I don’t need bad mouthing to get into the zone. I’m fighting Roy Jones, one of the greatest fighters there has been, at Madison Square Garden, the Mecca of boxing, where fighters like Rocky Marciano, Joe Lewis, Ali and Joe Frazier fought. I feel humbled.”

The small amount of ‘fighting talk’ if you will, came from Enzo Calzaghe who told Jones that his son was in New York to give him a beating!

Joe also had a message for all of his fans that are travelling across the world to see him: “I’m hungry. I realise I am so close to achieving something special, retiring undefeated. I’m not going to let it go.

“All the fans who are coming over, they are in for a treat, it’s going to be one hell of a fight. I’m going to take Jones out.”

No comments: