Wednesday 19 November 2008

Hatton VS Malignaggi

On Saturday night, Ricky Hatton will square up to Paulie Malignaggi for the World Light-Welterweight title at the MGM Grande Arena in Las Vegas – the scene of his sole career defeat to Floyd Mayweather Jr.

This is a fight that I have been looking forward to for months. A Ricky Hatton fight is always a big occasion for any boxing fan and usually provides excellent value for money. However this time, it comes with added spice.

The ‘Hitman’ comes into the fight at a make or break time in his career - where a big performance is compulsory in order to silence the critics and prove he still at his best.

On the other hand, should he lose then an early retirement looks to be on the cards.

Hatton made his comeback from the Mayweather defeat last May at the City of Manchester stadium where he beat Juan Lazcano on points. Despite winning comfortably, the performance was far from impressive - forcing some to question whether Ricky could continue.

In the weeks following the fight, Hatton parted company from long term trainer Billy Graham and somewhat ironically took on the services of Floyd Mayweather Sr.

“Billy thought he could continue training me but I had to be man enough to say no, it just wasn't possible. A lot of the lads had left Billy’s gym including Matthew (Ricky’s brother) – because of Billy’s injuries."

“There was only me left and he couldn’t even do that in the end. It was the toughest decision of my life to leave Billy but it was the best one. He was deluding himself and didn’t want to admit to himself that the time had come to finish.”

Since hiring the legendary American trainer, Hatton seems to have re-found his confidence and looks a revitalised fighter – claiming that he is performing better than ever.

The ‘Hitman’ has also promised his fans an entertaining night despite the brawler’s new found defensive techniques.

“I’ll be all over him like a rash – I won’t be taking any backward steps.”

“The day Ricky Hatton fans walk away without being entertained is the day I hang up my gloves.”

If Ricky puts on a show come Saturday night then a rematch with Mayweather Jr could be just around the corner:

“I wouldn’t mind another crack at Floyd. I don’t want to be an old man moaning in a few years’ time about that fight, I’d rather he knock me out again.”

“If I have another cracking performance on Saturday then I will put myself in the shop window for Floyd. I’d like to fight either him, Oscar De La Hoya, Manny Pacquiao or Juan Manuel Marquez.”

“But I will only be in the firing line for these fighters if I put in a big performance on Saturday.”

No comments: